Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sewol Ferry Incident

So as I am sure that most of you have heard by now the Sewol Ferry sinking had hit the country pretty hard. Even though as I am writing this a few weeks after the tragedy, there is still a lingering blanket of sadness that is draped over Seoul and the rest of the country.

This incident really blindsided us here n Seoul. I personally did not find out what was going on until later that night when I saw some people tweet about it. That was when the gates opened and everything was re-tweeting different numbers and accounts of what was happening. The sad part is that we where not being given the latest, most accurate numbers and information until latter last week when we knew that there would be no survivors and the search and rescue had turned into a search and body retrieval.

The whole entertainment industry completely shut down and is only just now showing signs of starting back up (as of May 6th, 2014). Even the University festivals that are usually the highlight of the Spring semester here in Seoul have been pushed back to later in June (after I leave...).

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. People here in Seoul have started to go back to everyday life, but like I said, there is an underlying feeling of sadness here that I am not sure that will ever disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment